Small Businessman of the Week: Factoring in a speedier cash flow for small companies
Monday 23 January 2012
Anil Stocker is director of MarketInvoice, which was set up a year ago to provide an alternative to traditional factoring services. It offers SMEs the opportunity to auction off outstanding invoices to investors, improving their cash flow
"What small business owners are missing right now isn't necessarily equity or debt: in fact, many of them are caught in a double credit crunch – their banks are reducing their overdrafts, which is leaving them short of working capital to pay their own suppliers, and their blue-chip clients, which are feeling the squeeze too, are paying their invoices later and later.
"This problem is difficult to address, because we now have integrated, global supply chains, where every link in the chain is coming under pressure – unfortunately, the more scale and size you have as an organisation, the greater your clout, and smaller businesses suffer disproportionately from late payments."
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£450 - £500 per day: Orgtel: Sourcing Manager - Banking - London - Up to £500p...
To be discussed at interview.: Queen Elizabeth's School: An experienced and ef...
£294.05 - £330.92 per day + 150 per day travel and accommodation: Orgtel: A le...