Butlin's fined for monorail crash
Saturday 08 March 1997
Seven holidaymakers were injured in a head-on collision between two trains at the company's Somerwest World in Minehead, Somerset, last August.The town's magistrates heard track signals had been disconnected and the monorail was being run by a 20-year-old worker on his first day in the job. Forty people were travelling in the trains, which did not have seat belts, when the accident happened.
Richard Barraclough, of the Health and Safety Executive, said that a senior Butlin's official interviewed by the HSE "was pretty scathing about local management practices at Butlin's".
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, George Osborne told
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...