High-fee UK universities fail to make grade
More than 20 universities planning to charge the maximum £9,000 fee for students next year have failed to make the top 200 of an influential international higher education league table.
The QS World University Rankings, published today, looked at how universities around the world had performed in six humanities subjects: English, geography, history, linguistics, modern languages and philosophy. Not one UK university apart from Oxford and Cambridge made the top 20 for English language and literature.
Twenty English universities failed to make the top 200 in any of the six subjects. They were Bath Spa, Birmingham City, Bournemouth, Brighton, Brunel, Coventry, De Montfort, East London, Kingston, Lincoln, Liverpool John Moores, London Met, Middlesex, Oxford Brookes, Plymouth, SOAS, Surrey, University of Central Lancashire, UWE Bristol and Westminster. University of Wales Newport and Glamorgan also failed to make the list in any of the topics.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
£120 - £162 per day: Randstad Education Hull: Randstad Education require an ex...
£120 - £162 per day: Randstad Education Hull: Year 3 primary supply teacher ne...
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Bristol: Supply special educational ne...