Chalk Talk: Pay attention, class - test your knowledge of Gove's reforms
Richard Garner has been Education Editor of The Independent for 12 years and writing about the subject for 34 years. Before becoming a journalist, he worked as a disc jockey in London pubs and clubs and for a hospital radio station. His main hobbies are cricket (watching these days) and theatre. On his days off, he is most likelt to be found at Lord’s or the King’s Head Theatre Club.
Wednesday 19 June 2013
So, have you kept abreast of Education Secretary Michael Gove's GCSE reforms? If so, have a grade eight for answering these questions correctly. (PS: if you didn't know eight was the top grade in the numerical system replacing A* to G grades, start with minus one)
1. Is an O-level: (a) an exam for bright 16-year-olds abolished to make way for the GCSE, (b) the new name for Education Secretary Michael Gove's new exam, (c) an exam still used in Commonwealth schools to test 16-year-olds.
2. In future, students of English Literature will have to study: (a) only 21st century poets and authors, (b) a 19th century novelist, (c) Chaucer.
3. How many exam boards will set GCSE exams: (a) one national exam board, (b) each exam board will bid for core subjects, (c) The five currently supplying them.
4. The English Baccalaureate Certificate (a) is the new name for GCSE exams, (b) is a school league table measure, (c) doesn't exist.
5. Climate change is: (a) no longer taught in geography, (b) part of the science curriculum, (c) an element of the new geography GCSE syllabus.
6. The term "sudden death" is used to describe: (a) the new GCSE exam system, (b) the future for GCSEs, (c) the fate of any school that fails to reach the Government's floor target for GCSE passes.
7. The I-level (a) is the new name for GCSEs, (b) is an IQ test for entry into private schools, (c) doesn't exist.
8. SPaG is (a) an Italian dish, (b) a new GCSE exam, (c) a national curriculum test for 11-year-olds.
Answers: 1 (a). There is no new name for GCSEs and (c) is the IGCSE: 2. (b). 3: (c) Gove wanted (b) but dropped the idea fearing legal action. 4. (c). The league table measure is the EBacc. Gove dropped the EBC after Lib Dem opposition. 5 (c) New national curriculum proposals suggest a switch from geography to science but it remains in the syllabus for GCSEs. 6. (a) All pupils face "sudden death" end-of-course exams. 7. (c) it was mooted as a new name for GCSEs. 8 (c). It is the name for the new spelling, punctuation and grammar test.
Out-of-touch MPs ‘don’t get it’, says ex-Civil Service chief
George Clooney and Amal fail to get special treatment at New York restaurant
Cindy Crawford 'un-PhotoShopped' viral Marie Claire image was doctored, photographer claims
'A girl is more responsible for rape than a boy': The statement that shocked the world... except India
The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 3 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway in dense fog
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The majority of sex workers enjoy their job - why should we find that surprising?
£45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established and reputable Not for Profit o...
Voluntary post, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Would you ...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree have recently been awa...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + 30 days holiday: Ashdown Group: Finance Manager - ...