Chalk Talk: Pay attention, class - test your knowledge of Gove's reforms
Richard Garner has been Education Editor of The Independent for 12 years and writing about the subject for 34 years. Before becoming a journalist, he worked as a disc jockey in London pubs and clubs and for a hospital radio station. His main hobbies are cricket (watching these days) and theatre. On his days off, he is most likelt to be found at Lord’s or the King’s Head Theatre Club.
Wednesday 19 June 2013
So, have you kept abreast of Education Secretary Michael Gove's GCSE reforms? If so, have a grade eight for answering these questions correctly. (PS: if you didn't know eight was the top grade in the numerical system replacing A* to G grades, start with minus one)
1. Is an O-level: (a) an exam for bright 16-year-olds abolished to make way for the GCSE, (b) the new name for Education Secretary Michael Gove's new exam, (c) an exam still used in Commonwealth schools to test 16-year-olds.
2. In future, students of English Literature will have to study: (a) only 21st century poets and authors, (b) a 19th century novelist, (c) Chaucer.
3. How many exam boards will set GCSE exams: (a) one national exam board, (b) each exam board will bid for core subjects, (c) The five currently supplying them.
4. The English Baccalaureate Certificate (a) is the new name for GCSE exams, (b) is a school league table measure, (c) doesn't exist.
5. Climate change is: (a) no longer taught in geography, (b) part of the science curriculum, (c) an element of the new geography GCSE syllabus.
6. The term "sudden death" is used to describe: (a) the new GCSE exam system, (b) the future for GCSEs, (c) the fate of any school that fails to reach the Government's floor target for GCSE passes.
7. The I-level (a) is the new name for GCSEs, (b) is an IQ test for entry into private schools, (c) doesn't exist.
8. SPaG is (a) an Italian dish, (b) a new GCSE exam, (c) a national curriculum test for 11-year-olds.
Answers: 1 (a). There is no new name for GCSEs and (c) is the IGCSE: 2. (b). 3: (c) Gove wanted (b) but dropped the idea fearing legal action. 4. (c). The league table measure is the EBacc. Gove dropped the EBC after Lib Dem opposition. 5 (c) New national curriculum proposals suggest a switch from geography to science but it remains in the syllabus for GCSEs. 6. (a) All pupils face "sudden death" end-of-course exams. 7. (c) it was mooted as a new name for GCSEs. 8 (c). It is the name for the new spelling, punctuation and grammar test.
Duchess of Alba dead: Billionaire Spanish duchess who lived life by her own rules, dies at 88
New York snowstorm: Death toll rises to 10 as residents battle with further snowfall
These grandmas smoking weed for the first time are wonderful
Chelsea balcony collapse: Two people dead and six injured in London
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 Lee Evans announces his retirement from comedy on The Jonathan Ross Show
- 3 Iggy Azalea responds to Eminem rape lyrics: 'I'm bored of old men threatening young women'
- 4 These grandmas smoking weed for the first time are wonderful
- 5 Pastafarian former porn star Asia Lemmon allowed to wear colander in driving licence photo
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cardiff: We are currently recruiting f...
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cardiff: Science Teacher -Full Time - ...
£40 - £45 per day: Randstad Education Cardiff: The Job: Our client in the Newp...
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cardiff: Randstad Education Cardiff is...