Alagiah to go solo as Kaplinksy departs
Tuesday 16 October 2007
George Alagiah is to become the sole presenter of the BBC's Six O'Clock News following the departure of Natasha Kaplinsky.
She is leaving the BBC to join Five News in a deal believed to be worth £1m a year.
The Six O'Clock News has had two presenters since January 2003. BBC insiders believe the return to a single presenter is part of plans by the head of BBC Television News, Peter Horrocks, to cut costs.
Alagiah, who joined the Six O'Clock News in 2003, said he felt "honoured" to be asked to present on his own.
Peter Horrocks said: "The Six O'Clock News will be built around George's warmth and great experience. He has enormous versatility – being as comfortable with reporting from scenes of flood devastation as from Downing Street.
"The bulletin has a special remit to report fully stories from around the UK and we will be devising plans with George to fulfil this objective, at a time when our competitors are reducing their commitment to the regions of the UK."
Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
Greece debt crisis: Athens has one day to find €1.6bn
German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 1 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Tunisian builder has been hailed a hero after knocking gunman to the ground with roof tiles
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
£15000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: First things first - for the av...
Competitive: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Creative Designer / Graphic Design...
£18 - 23k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Marketing Executive / Assistant is n...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers' in retail...