Lord Patten appointed head of Vatican media committee
Vatican aims to modernise and re-vamp its online presence and communications strategy to reach wider audience
Lord Patten, the former chairman of the BBC Trust, will advise Pope Francis on how to modernise the Vatican's media strategy.
The former Hong Kong governor will be the president of an 11-member committee, including six experts from around the world and five Vatican officials.
Their goal is to re-vamp the Holy See's online presence and communications strategy in an effort to reach a wider and younger audience. The Vatican already has a number of websites and Twitter accounts, including that of Pope Francis (@pontifex) in nine different languages.
Lord Patten, a former Conservative Party chairman and a Roman Catholic, stepped down from the BBC Trust in May after undergoing a major heart surgery. At the time, he said it had been a "privilege" to serve as chairman in a heartfelt message in his resignation statement.
The Vatican has six separate communications departments, including a press and internet office and a communications council. It also has a newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, and a radio station, Vatican Radio, which broadcasts in 40 languages.
Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
Car tax disc changes: Five facts you never knew about your (almost obsolete) tax disc
Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
The Aral Sea: Nasa pictures show how what was once the fourth largest lake in the world has become almost completely dry
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- < Previous
- Next >
£24 - 28k: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Technical SEO Executive to join one ...
£25k: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Research Analyst / Insight Analyst to joi...
35,000 - 50,000: Sphere Digital Recruitment: Our client is the world's largest...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...