MTV takes Twitter's hashtag function to the next level
Thursday 21 June 2012
For a certain generation of twentysomethings, the slippage of online terminology into everyday speech is inevitable. Lol.
As regular readers of the, ahem, Trending pages may have spotted, the lexicon of Twitter is reaching new levels of ubiquity, with its phrases and tools for spreading subjects – like hashtags – slipping into the way many people communicate.
Not content with providing suggested topic hashtags in front of "social" shows – as #bbcqt (BBC Question Time) and the slightly possessive #MadMenonSky do – MTV has gone a step further and renamed one of its existing shows – self-improvement reality vehicle Made – with a hashtag. It's now known: as Made #dreambigger. The intention is obvious – to get people talking about the show online. Maybe just making an engaging programme would solve that problem?
MTV has another problem, too. As Variety pointed out after the announcement, there's already an online show entitled Dream Bigger. #unlucky.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£8 per hour plus excellent benefits: The Research House Limited: We are curren...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: A highly respected boutique Executive Searc...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Success has been driving expansion on a glo...