MTV takes Twitter's hashtag function to the next level
Thursday 21 June 2012
For a certain generation of twentysomethings, the slippage of online terminology into everyday speech is inevitable. Lol.
As regular readers of the, ahem, Trending pages may have spotted, the lexicon of Twitter is reaching new levels of ubiquity, with its phrases and tools for spreading subjects – like hashtags – slipping into the way many people communicate.
Not content with providing suggested topic hashtags in front of "social" shows – as #bbcqt (BBC Question Time) and the slightly possessive #MadMenonSky do – MTV has gone a step further and renamed one of its existing shows – self-improvement reality vehicle Made – with a hashtag. It's now known: as Made #dreambigger. The intention is obvious – to get people talking about the show online. Maybe just making an engaging programme would solve that problem?
MTV has another problem, too. As Variety pointed out after the announcement, there's already an online show entitled Dream Bigger. #unlucky.
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Tony Benn meets Ali G: Watch Labour veteran burn Sacha Baron Cohen
- 3 Women do experience two different types of orgasm, study reveals
- 4 Istanbul protesters take 'Ellen selfie' from the back of a police van
- 5 Lady Gaga has struggled with eating disorders in the past, so it's indefensible that she's glamourising bulimia in her SXSW set
£20000 - £23000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The world's leading mobile adver...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: This company is made up of award...
Lunch and travel expenses: Inspiring Interns: Tearing up the world of graduate...
£45,000+ benefits: Freshtechit: Digital Project Manager London (Greater) / Ric...