MTV takes Twitter's hashtag function to the next level
Thursday 21 June 2012
For a certain generation of twentysomethings, the slippage of online terminology into everyday speech is inevitable. Lol.
As regular readers of the, ahem, Trending pages may have spotted, the lexicon of Twitter is reaching new levels of ubiquity, with its phrases and tools for spreading subjects – like hashtags – slipping into the way many people communicate.
Not content with providing suggested topic hashtags in front of "social" shows – as #bbcqt (BBC Question Time) and the slightly possessive #MadMenonSky do – MTV has gone a step further and renamed one of its existing shows – self-improvement reality vehicle Made – with a hashtag. It's now known: as Made #dreambigger. The intention is obvious – to get people talking about the show online. Maybe just making an engaging programme would solve that problem?
MTV has another problem, too. As Variety pointed out after the announcement, there's already an online show entitled Dream Bigger. #unlucky.
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 North Korean prison officers 'cooked prisoner's baby and fed it to their dogs', more horrific accounts from UN report reveal
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 4 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
£40000 - £45000 per annum + car allowance: Ashdown Group: Senior Brand Manager...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: We are seeking a .NET Developer /.NET Software ...
£18 - 24k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Marketing Analyst / Online Marketing...
£Neg. (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Technical Ope...