Mitchell to sue The Sun for libel over its reporting of 'plebgate'
Tuesday 05 February 2013
Andrew Mitchell, the MP who resigned his cabinet role following the "plebgate" affair, is suing The Sun newspaper for libel, it has emerged.
The Government's former Chief Whip admits to swearing at police in Downing Street last September but maintains he never used the politically toxic term "plebs".
The Conservative MP has reportedly sent the tabloid a "letter before action", putting it on notice he intends to sue over its reporting of the matter. The Sun wrote on 22 September about the row Mr Mitchell had with police over taking his bicycle through Downing Street's main gates.
"We are seeking damages, an apology, an undertaking that the words complained of are not repeated, and costs," Mr Mitchell's lawyer, Graham Atkins, said last night.
The Sun's parent company, News International, declined to comment last night in "view of legal action".
New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site on Friday
'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
Tower of London poppies: Tens of thousands of people flock to see installation in its final days
Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson criticised for beer tweet
Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
Bryan Adams' heartstopping images of wounded British soldiers to go on show at Somerset House
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel your sales role is l...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £100,000: SThree: If you would like to work fo...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Uncapped Commission £100k +: SThree: Trainee Recru...