Susan Boyle manager accepts libel damages
Wednesday 19 October 2011
An adviser to singer Susan Boyle has accepted substantial undisclosed libel damages over a claim that he was unfit to handle her affairs.
Retired accountant Ossie Kilkenny, a member of the International Board of Directors of Special Olympics, brought proceedings in London's High Court over a Daily Mail story in March last year.
The publication of the false allegations caused him acute distress and anxiety and were an unwarranted slur on his character and professional reputation, said solicitor Nicholas Armstrong.
He told Mr Justice Tugendhat today that Mr Kilkenny - who at the time was one of Miss Boyle's managers - was referred to in an article headed "Family at war over Subo's millions".
It suggested that, because of doubts over his trustworthiness, Mr Kilkenny was unsuitable or unfit to be trusted to handle the singer's affairs.
Mr Armstrong said that Associated Newspapers had now accepted this was untrue and clarified that it never intended to suggest that Mr Kilkenny managed Miss Boyle's finances dishonestly.
It had apologised and agreed to pay him substantial damages and reimburse his legal costs.
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
£60000 - £85000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Interim Head of Marketing / Marketin...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...
£25 - 30k: Guru Careers: A Digital Project Manager is needed to join an exciti...
£24 - 28k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Paid Search Analyst / PPC...