US foreclosure image is 2008 World Press Photo
Friday 13 February 2009
A picture of an armed sheriff moving through an American home after an eviction due to a mortgage foreclosure was named World Press Photo of 2008 on Friday.
Jury members said the strength of the photo by American Anthony Suau for Time magazine was in its opposites -- it looks like a classic war photograph, but is simply the eviction of people from a house.
"Now war in its classic sense is coming into people's houses because they can't pay their mortgages," jury chair MaryAnne Golon said.
Fellow juror Akinbode Akinbiyi said: "All over the world people will be thinking: 'This is what is happening to all of us'."
The news agency Agence France-Presse won the Best Spot News Photo category with an image of post-election violence in Kenya and also the People In The News Singles category with an image of tribal conflict in western Kenya.
Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
Jennifer Lawrence face palms Emma Watson at Christian Dior show in Paris
'Is there life on Mars?': Water can and does exist on the planet says new research
Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: Piers Morgan loses £5,000 bet - and dignity - to Joey Barton following record defeat
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
- 3 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 4 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 5 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
£40000 - £45000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: This is an e...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: BI Project / Program Manager BI Project...
£250 - £300 per day: Progressive Recruitment: LEAD DIGITAL ANALYST - CONTRACT ...
£60000 - £70000 per annum: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: Head of Technology -...