Radio 1 names new controller
Saturday 29 October 2011
Ben Cooper has been appointed Andy Parfitt's successor as controller of Radio 1.
The 41-year-old had been acting controller since July and was previously deputy station boss for two years. His appointment comes a day after Radio 1 attracted a record 11.8 million weekly listeners.
Cooper is only the eighth controller since the BBC station was launched in 1967 – his predecessor, Parfitt, held the role for 13 years. He is also slightly older than the past two controllers, Matthew Bannister and Parfitt, were when they landed the position.
Cooper began his career as a presenter and producer at BBC Hereford & Worcester, eventually moving to Radio 1 as a producer. He then had a spell with commercial station Capital before returning to Radio 1.
As deputy controller, he moved Fearne Cotton into Jo Whiley's morning slot. He also hired Vernon Kay, Greg James, Nick Grimshaw and Reggie Yates.
Tim Davie, director of BBC Audio & Music, said: "It is excellent to have someone of Ben's calibre and experience to lead Radio 1 and keep the station as relevant, popular and distinctive as ever."
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
VMAs 2015: Kanye West runs for president, Nicki Minaj calls out Miley Cyrus and the list of winners in full
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
COMPETITIVE + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: A Lead Systems Developer / Sof...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The world's leading financial services careers...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Digital Marketing Executive...
40-45K DOE + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Manager / Senior Account Manag...