Radio 1 names new controller
Saturday 29 October 2011
Ben Cooper has been appointed Andy Parfitt's successor as controller of Radio 1.
The 41-year-old had been acting controller since July and was previously deputy station boss for two years. His appointment comes a day after Radio 1 attracted a record 11.8 million weekly listeners.
Cooper is only the eighth controller since the BBC station was launched in 1967 – his predecessor, Parfitt, held the role for 13 years. He is also slightly older than the past two controllers, Matthew Bannister and Parfitt, were when they landed the position.
Cooper began his career as a presenter and producer at BBC Hereford & Worcester, eventually moving to Radio 1 as a producer. He then had a spell with commercial station Capital before returning to Radio 1.
As deputy controller, he moved Fearne Cotton into Jo Whiley's morning slot. He also hired Vernon Kay, Greg James, Nick Grimshaw and Reggie Yates.
Tim Davie, director of BBC Audio & Music, said: "It is excellent to have someone of Ben's calibre and experience to lead Radio 1 and keep the station as relevant, popular and distinctive as ever."
Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
Mohammed Emwazi: Nine things we know about Isis militant 'Jihadi John'
What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Junior Business Systems Analyst role...
£30-35k (P/T - Pro Rata) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienc...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + up to £45,000: Sauce Recruitment: The Internation...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A thriving online media busines...