Beetroot juice found to boost stamina
Beetroot juice boosts stamina by making muscles more fuel-efficient, scientists have found.
Last year the same researchers reported that the juice can increase physical endurance. The study focused on men aged 19 to 38 cycling on exercise bikes. Drinking 500ml of beetroot juice a day for a week enabled them to cycle 16 per cent longer before getting tired out. Now the scientists believe they understand how the beetroot boost works.
The new research showed beetroot juice doubled the amount of nitrate in the blood of volunteers, and reduced the rate at which muscles used their main source of energy. Beetroot juice helped muscles work more efficiently and lowered their oxygen uptake.
The scientists, from the University of Exeter's School of Sport and Health Sciences, believe nitrate from beetroot juice leads to increased levels of nitric oxide in the body, which affects a range of functions including blood flow, hormone levels and cell signalling. The findings are published in the Journal of Applied Physiology.
The study's leader, Professor Andy Jones, said: "We have seen growing interest in the benefits of drinking beetroot juice in the world of professional sport and I expect this study to attract even more attention from athletes."
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
New banker bonus boom: Payouts leapt 64% to new record when Chancellor George Osborne cut top-rate tax to 45p in April
'Theres something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland
World news in pictures
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Mike Ashley wants blood after last season's trauma at Newcastle - and it won't stop with Derek Llambias
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: C++ Python Developer - Banking - London - Up to £...
£5520 - £31200 per annum: Randstad Education London: If you are then please ap...
MPS + OLA: Randstad Education London: Randstad Education are working with a Cl...
£42000 - £46000 per annum + depending on experience: Randstad Education London...