28-year murder riddle solved
Thursday 02 August 2012
The murder of a young boy 28 years ago has finally been solved, police said yesterday.
Detectives suspected Melvyn Reed of killing his 9-year-old nephew Christopher Laverack for more than a decade. The child was found in a stream close to his home in Hull in 1984 after suffering an horrific attack.
Humberside Police said an independent assessment of the strength of the case from leading QC Paul Watson had now found the weight of evidence against Read to be "conclusive".
Read died from cancer in prison in 2008 while serving a seven-and-a-half year sentence for sexually assaulting four young boys.
Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
World news in pictures
Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
Oklahoma tornado latest: Obama pledges support for 'as long as it takes' to rebuild the suburb of Moore
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Salary Package: Austen Lloyd: We have an exciting opportunity for a ...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£70000 - £95000 per annum + Bonus, flexible working hours, remote work: Progre...
£50000 - £56000 per annum + Benefits package, flexible working hours: Progress...