Barclays Bank computer heist: Eight arrested over £1.3m haul
Eight men have been arrested in connection with a £1.3
million theft carried out by a gang who took over a bank branch computer
Jewellery, drugs, cash, thousands of credit cards and personal data have been seized following raids at addresses in Westminster, Newham, Camden, Brent and Essex.
Detectives described one of the addresses in central London as the fraudsters' control centre.
The men, who are aged between 24 and 47, have been arrested in connection with an allegation of conspiracy to steal from Barclays Bank, and conspiracy to defraud UK banks. They are in custody in London police stations.
A search of the Barclays Bank branch in Swiss Cottage, north London, where £1.3 million was stolen in April, unearthed a “keyboard video mouse” (KVM) switch attached to a 3G router connected to one of the computers. A KVM switch would allow the fraudsters to transmit desktop content.
It is alleged one of the men posed as an engineer by saying he was there to fix computers to place the device.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27