Body found as teenage kayaker goes missing
Tuesday 02 August 2011
Rescuers searching for a missing kayaker after an upturned boat and oars were found floating in the Thames have recovered a body.
The kayaker is thought to have been a teenage boy who was taking part in the Richmond Hasler Marathon. London Coastguard and police found a body in the early afternoon but would not confirm if it was that of the missing boy.
Fran Perrow, 47, from Twickenham, said she saw a police diver signal for help after finding a body in the water.
"After the kayak was found yesterday the organisers did a head count of the competitors and one was found to be missing," Ms Perrow said. "People are horrified and very saddened. This is really a tragic and awful event."
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God