Call for BSkyB takeover delay over phone-hacking investigation
The Government has been urged to delay Rupert Murdoch's proposed takeover of BSkyB until police finish their investigation into phone-hacking at the News of the World.
The media tycoon's News Corp, ultimate owners of the News of the World, was given the green light last month to buy the 61% of BSkyB it does not already own.
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt said he planned to accept News Corp's offer rather than refer the bid to the Competition Commission.
But a Labour MP said today the deal should not go through while detectives continued to investigate allegations that journalists at News International, Murdoch's newspaper division, illegally intercepted celebrities' and politicians' phone messages.
Sheila Gilmore (Edinburgh East) told MPs: "In light of the considerable concerns which have arisen because of the ongoing criminal investigations about phone-hacking in the News International stable, is the Secretary of State now minded to postpone any decision on the future of BSkyB until such time as the criminal investigation has been concluded?"
Speaking at Commons question time, Mr Hunt said: "The decision I have to take in respect of the Sky merger is about media plurality. We are in the process of taking that decision."
But he added: "I am very concerned about the news to do with phone-hacking. It is a criminal offence, two people have already gone to prison and three people have been arrested.
"The police must follow their investigations wherever they lead. The public must have confidence that in a free press, the press uses that freedom responsibly."
The Sunday tabloid tried to draw a line under the scandal earlier this month when it published a prominent apology and agreed to pay damages to phone-hacking victims.
The move followed the arrests of three serving and former journalists: James Weatherup, a senior reporter who has also worked as a news editor at the title, chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck, 50, and former assistant editor (news) Ian Edmondson, 42.
Scotland Yard has endured repeated criticism over its handling of the original phone-hacking inquiry, which led to the convictions of News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire in 2007.
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
sportUnder-10s football coach sacked for telling parents he was 'only interested in winning'
techA piece of new hi-tech kit aims to get us scribbling again
indybestMake getting out of the wrong side of bed on cold winter mornings a thing of the past with our selection of night-time covers
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Syrian rebels consider joining forces with regime troops to fight al-Qa’ida
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
Work until you’re 70: Chancellor George Osborne accused of ‘living in fantasy land’ over Autumn Statement pension reforms
What made Charles Saatchi grab my throat outside Scott's, by Nigella Lawson - as she accuses him of threatening to 'destroy' her with drug claims
Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
Paul Walker death: Eight-year-old son of Porsche driver Roger Rodas tried to rescue his father