Former Mr Gay UK winner Anthony Morley murdered Damian Oldfield before carving a piece of flesh from his thigh, seasoning it with fresh herbs, frying it in olive oil and chewing a section.
Here are some other killers who are said to have eaten their victims:
* Robert Maudsley, 55, was in Broadmoor Hospital for the criminally insane after garrotting a man when he committed his second murder in 1977.
Maudsley, and another inmate, took a third patient hostage and locked themselves in a cell, where they tortured their victim before cutting the top of his head off.
According to a guard, the man was found with a spoon hanging out of his head and part of his brain missing, leading to Maudsley being dubbed 'cannibal' and 'brain-eater' by fellow prisoners.
Maudsley was found guilty of manslaughter and sent to Wakefield Prison, where he killed a further two prisoners and was convicted of double murder.
* Peter Bryan killed Brian Cherry, cut off both his arms and one of his legs and fried his brains in butter in February 2004.
Nine weeks later, while detained in Broadmoor, he murdered a fellow patient.
Bryan, who has paranoid schizophrenia, had previously spent several years in Rampton after he murdered a woman.
* Armin Meiwes, 46, was given a life sentence for murder in 2006 after he killed Bernd Jurgen Brandes, 43, at his home in Rotenburg, Germany, in 2001.
Miewes met Mr Brandes on the internet after the victim replied to an advert placed on a website asking for someone willing to be slaughtered and consumed.
Meiwes took his victim back to his farmhouse, where he cut off his penis, which both men then tried to eat.
He later stabbed Mr Brandes to death before cutting his body into sections and freezing them.
Miewes was said to have eaten around 20kgs of his victim when he was arrested in December 2002.
He was originally convicted of manslaughter, claiming that Mr Brandes had asked to be killed and eaten, but this verdict was overturned and he was found guilty of murder after a retrial.
* Jeffrey Dahmer was jailed for murdering 17 young men in America between 1978 and 1991.
He was believed to have eaten parts of his victims and US police found partly cooked human flesh in Dahmer's freezer and a human head in the fridge.
* Paul Durant pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Karen Durrell after claiming to have dismembered and eaten her in Costa Blanca in January 2004.
Durant sent a letter to a newspaper saying that after killing Ms Durrell, a divorced mother-of-two from Ilford, Essex, who had just moved to Spain, he cut her body into small parts and ate sections of the flesh.
* Jose Luis Calva was arrested last year after police found the remains of his 30-year-old girlfriend, Alejandra Galeana, in his apartment in Mexico City.
It was reported that a torso was found in a bedroom closet, an arm and a leg in the refrigerator and bones in a cereal box.
A hand and a foot were said to have been discovered being boiled in a pot, and meat, also thought to be human, was being fried on the stove with lemon juice.