Chris Huhne speeding trial adjourned until next year
The trial of former Cabinet Minister Chris Huhne and his ex-wife Vicky Pryce has been put off until next year.
Mr Huhne and Ms Pryce are now due to go on trial on January 14 accused of perverting the course of justice over claims that the former Energy Secretary persuaded his then-wife to take penalty points for a speeding offence. The case had been due to start this week but was delayed because of legal reasons.
Mr Huhne is accused of telling the authorities that Ms Pryce was behind the wheel when their car was caught on a speed camera between Stansted, Essex, and London in 2003. It meant that he was not prosecuted or liable for any fine.
A complaint about allegations of driver swapping was made to Essex Police last year after Mr Huhne, who has five children, admitted having an affair with his public relations adviser Carina Trimingham. The affair led to the end of the couple's 26-year marriage.
Ms Pryce, an economist, has indicated that she would use a defence of "marital coercion" when the case comes to court. The pair remain on bail until then. The charge carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.
Mr Huhne, 58, remains the Liberal Democrat MP for Eastleigh but he stood down from the Cabinet after the charges against the pair were announced in February.
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >