Bristol bomb scare: Almost 500 homes evacuated over 'suspicious car'
Police believe it could be linked to an 'ongoing dispute'
Saturday 31 May 2014
People have been evacuated from almost 500 homes as bomb squads carry out controlled explosions in Bristol.
Police were called about a “suspicious car” in the Fishponds area of the city at 4am on Saturday and evacuated a large area around it.
Bomb disposal experts carried out several explosions while families were taken to rest centres nearby.
There has been no confirmation of what was in the car but police said it “smelt strongly of fuel”.
Chief Superintendent Geoff Spicer, from Avon and Somerset Constabulary, said he was grateful for residents’ co-operation and patience.
He added: “Public safety is a priority for us and the exclusion area was set-up as a necessary precaution.
“We will be carrying out a full and thorough investigation into this incident now the controlled explosions have taken place.
“At this stage we believe this is an isolated incident and could be linked to an ongoing dispute and we are progressing lines of inquiry.”
A spokesman for the force said the controlled explosions were a “normal operational response” to such incidents.
Police expected an exclusion zone around Cassell Road would remain until Saturday afternoon.
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster