Couple jailed for Jewish bomb plot
Saturday 21 July 2012
A couple who formed a "terrorist partnership" and plotted deadly attacks on Jewish communities were jailed yesterday.
Mohammed Sajid Khan, 33, was given an indeterminate sentence for the public's protection with a minimum term of seven years and six months. His wife Shasta Khan, 38, was jailed for eight years.
The couple, from Oldham, Greater Manchester, bought substances from supermarkets to assemble an improvised explosive device, Manchester Crown Court heard. They planned to target Manchester's Jewish community.
But their plot was foiled when police were called to a domestic dispute at their home and found a cache of terror-related material.
Passing sentence, Mr Justice Wilkie told Khan he had been a "committed Islamic extremist".
He added: "I am satisfied that before too long you would have been in a position to launch a deadly attack." The judge said he was "a significant risk" to the public.
Khan, an unemployed car valeter, pleaded guilty to engaging in conduct in preparation for acts of terrorism at an earlier hearing.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
N Korea confirms removal of Kim Jong-un’s 'depraved' uncle Jang Song Thaek
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >