DNA on towel may point to spy's killer
DNA test results on a towel found in the flat of the spy Gareth Williams are not expected for weeks as Scotland Yard continues to follow-up new lines of inquiry into his death.
Police suspect a member of MI6 or GCHQ was in his flat the day he died and will reportedly take DNA samples from up to 50 of his colleagues to try to discover if anyone else was involved.
The coroner this week said that she was sure another person locked Mr Williams, 31, inside the red holdall in which his naked body was found in the bath. Mr Williams, who was security-conscious, was unlikely to let a stranger into his home, the inquest was told.
Experts from LGC, the private laboratory that secured a breakthrough in the case of Stephen Lawrence, are continuing to test a green towel found in the kitchen in the hope that it will yield evidence of another person in his flat. Detective Chief Inspector Jackie Sebire, who is leading the investigation, said the inquest had raised "several new lines of inquiry and the investigation will now refocus and actively pursue all the evidence heard".
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
German chancellor Angela Merkel named most powerful woman in the world by Forbes - again
World news in pictures
Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.