Dog set on pregnant deer
Friday 26 February 2010
Thugs set a dog on a pregnant deer and filmed the defenceless animal being savaged and killed on mobile phones, police said today.
The attack took place the front gates of Garth prison in Leyland, Lancashire, when a blue Citroen Berlingo car pulled up and the lurcher was released from the vehicle.
A Lancashire police spokeswoman said: "Witnesses to the incident say the occupants filmed the attack on their mobile phones before driving off and leaving the lurcher feeding on the animal's carcass.
"The dog was captured by police and is now subject to examination and held as evidence."
Lancashire Constabulary wildlife officer Duncan Thomas said: "This is a sickening attack on a defenceless animal and these people must be caught.
"The fallow doe was pregnant. They carried out this crime purely for sport and self-gratification and I would urge anyone with any information about this incident to come forward."
The incident took place at about 4.30pm on Thursday.
Anybody with information should contact Lancashire police on 08451 253545 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years