Man accused of 1987 Christmas Day rape
Monday 18 October 2010
A man was tonight accused of raping a woman on Christmas Day more than two decades ago after a cold case review by police.
Antoni Imiela, 55, of no fixed address, was charged with rape, indecent assault and buggery of a 29-year-old woman.
The sex attack is alleged to have taken place on December 25, 1987, in Sydenham, south east London.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the charges were the result of a review by officers who specialise in sex crimes.
It is understood investigators claim to have connected him to the case after employing new forensic techniques.
The victim has died, but police have recorded interviews with her. Imiela will appear at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court on November 1.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela's death: South Africa and the world mourns loss of Nelson Mandela
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- < Previous
- Next >