Man arrested after M25 motorway chase
A man was arrested today after leading police on a 140mph chase on the M25.
Officers from the Roads Policing Unit, supported by the Surrey Police helicopter, pursued the car - a silver BMW coupe - on to the eastbound carriage of the motorway in Surrey at 2.40am.
But the high speeds were so dangerous they backed away and stopped the pursuit.
A rolling road block was put in place at Junction 6, slowing other traffic, and officers were eventually able to contain and stop the car.
The driver, a 36-year-old man from London, was arrested on suspicion of failing to stop for police and dangerous driving.
The motorway was closed for about 10 minutes while the car was recovered and the carriageway cleared of debris.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'He was always smiling': Lee Rigby named as Woolwich victim
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
Exclusive: Woolwich suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
Seeing the larger picture: Inspiring images of space
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 2 'He was always smiling': Lee Rigby named as Woolwich victim
- 3 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 5 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.