Man arrested over woman's death in Middlesbrough
Police who launched a manhunt after a woman's body was discovered at an address arrested a 47-year-old man in a town centre on suspicion of murder.
A force spokeswoman said a man was arrested in Middlesbrough town centre a short time ago and thanked the public and media for their help.
Cleveland Police said: "He is currently in police custody and inquiries are ongoing at this time."
They have not yet named the victim. Local reports suggest she may have been from the Hartlepool area.
Officers were called to the council estate - one of Middlesbrough's biggest - early today.
They cordoned off several streets around the brick-built terrace and put up a white forensics tent in the front yard.
Some residents said they were awoken by officers as they conducted door-to-door inquiries.
One woman, who lives a few doors from the scene, said: "I was woken at about 4am and the police came round to talk to us.
"It's just rumours flying round at the moment.
"This is a quiet road of the estate. It's mainly older people who live here. Everyone just keeps themselves to themselves."
The street, which overlooks the Middlesbrough to Redcar trunk road was otherwise quiet this morning.
Several neighbours kept an eye on the scene from their doorsteps and crowds of youths gathered on bikes.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'