Man held after woman's body is found in Chichester house
Tuesday 29 January 2013
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a woman's body was found by a colleague who was due to take her to work.
Police and paramedics were called to Cherry Tree Cottage in East Ashling, near Chichester, at 8am yesterday after a 44-year-old woman was discovered dead in the house, Sussex Police said.
A 45-year-old man from Selsey, who was known to the woman, was arrested last night on suspicion of her murder. He remains in custody.
Det Chief Insp Ian Pollard from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, who is leading the investigation, said: "While initially it was thought that we were dealing with a sudden death, officers became increasingly suspicious of the circumstances.
"As yet, the cause of her death is unexplained and we are awaiting the results of a post-mortem that will take place on Tuesday. However, our inquiries lead us to believe that this was not a natural death and a murder inquiry has been launched."
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
While we fixate on Calais, the Government is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: For desperate migrants it is 'England or death' as they brave dogs, riot police and speeding trains
- 1 Top Gear team of Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May officially heading to Amazon Prime for new car show
- 2 Stuart Baggs: Apprentice star 'The Brand' found dead aged 27
- 3 How to cancel Amazon Prime: after Top Gear hiring, how to leave premium service
- 4 Tesco scraps 'unexpected item in the bagging area' as self-checkouts switch to less 'frustrating' audio
- 5 Living in Spain and commuting to London 'cheaper than actually working in London'