Man held for murder of transsexual prostitute
Monday 19 October 2009
A 42-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of a post-operative transsexual prostitute.
The strangled body of Andrea Waddell, a 29-year-old former postgraduate philosophy student, was found by firefighters shortly before midnight on Thursday in a burned-out first-floor flat in Upper Lewes Road, Brighton. Ms Waddell, who grew up in Reading, Berkshire, but had lived in Brighton for the past five years, had undergone gender surgery to become a woman while studying for a master's degree at the University of Sussex.
Detective Chief Inspector Adam Hibbert, of Sussex Police, said she was well known in Brighton but was "discreet" about her work. She was not known to drink or take any drugs and was described as "very close" to her family. A statement from her parents, Sonia and Robin, and brother Nick, paid tribute to her. They said she was born Alexander John and described her as "fiercely independent".
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >