Man held over armed seaside siege
A man who barricaded himself inside a property in Bournemouth, sparking a 10-hour armed police stand-off, has been arrested by police.
The 34-year-old was detained by officers on suspicion of making threats to kill following the stand-off that saw dozens of residents evacuated from their homes.
Teams of armed and unarmed police were called to a property in Seabourne Road, in the Pokesdown area shortly before 4pm on Monday following claims that a man had locked himself inside.
Road closures were put in place and a cordon was set up around the house, before specialist negotiators attempted to resolve the incident. A police helicopter was also scrambled.
Officers entered the property just after 2am on Tuesday and arrested the suspect, before the evacuated neighbourhood residents were allowed to return to their homes.
A spokesman for Dorset Police said: "Unarmed officers supported by armed officers entered a property in Seabourne Road where they located a male with whom they had been in earlier negotiations.
"A 34-year-old male from the Poole area was arrested in connection with an allegations of making threats to kill."
No weapons were discharged during the incident.
South Korea ferry passengers who were told to stay put 'got trapped' aboard sinking ship
Are beards attractive? Ryan Gosling says yes, but science says no. Take the A-list facial hair challenge and find out who's right
Oscar Pistorius trial: Defence witness 'unqualified' to testify
Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
Oscar Pistorius trial: Defence witness contradicts athlete's version in new blow for defence team
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
- 5 Mrs Doubtfire 2: Robin Williams set to star in sequel to 1993 comedy