Man in custody over 'racist' tweets targeting Stan Collymore
Wednesday 28 November 2012
A man has been arrested after ex-footballer Stan Collymore was allegedly racially abused on Twitter.
The 21-year-old man was last night in police custody helping police with their investigation.
Northumbria Police said yesterday: "At 9.55am this morning police received a report of racist tweets and are carrying out inquiries to trace the person responsible."
They later added: "A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of publishing written material to stir up racial hatred and is currently in police custody helping police with their inquiries."
Yesterday the former Aston Villa striker took to his Twitter account to show his gratitude to the police for their "prompt response" to the problem.
He said: "Many thanks to Greater Manchester & Northumbria Police forces for their prompt response to racism on twitter."
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
Isis releases graphic video showing four Shia 'spies' being burned alive in Anbar, Iraq
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Chaos breaks out in courtroom as father attacks killer of three-year-old daughter
- 5 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party