Man jailed for shooting his pet dog
Marc Turnbull, 38, fired on Rocky six times with an air rifle, hit him with shovel and left him for dead in a ditch
A man who tried to kill his pet dog because he wasn’t able to find a new home for it has been sentenced to jail.
Marc Turnbull, 38, shot cross-breed Rocky five times in the head and once in the leg, hit the animal with a shovel and then left him to die in a ditch.
The dog was found by a member of the public some three days later, near the A5 at Weedon, Northamptonshire.
X-rays showed the extent of the damage dealt to Rocky, which included a large open wound on the back of his head that went down to the ridge of the skull, and multiple injuries caused by an air rifle.
Miraculously the animal survived the ordeal, and police were able to trace the dog back to Mr Turnbull, who is from Northampton, because it had been microchipped.
He claimed inflicting the injuries was his only option after he failed to find another home for the dog.
Mr Turnbull admitted three charges of causing unnecessary suffering to Rocky, and was jailed for 20 weeks at Northampton Magistrates' Court on Tuesday. He has also been banned from keeping animals for 20 years.
RSPCA inspector Michelle McNab said: “This was a truly unbelievable case that involved immense suffering to the dog.
”Fortunately, Rocky was found and amazingly he survived. He has since been rehomed to a loving family.“
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines