MP's tribute to blind imam found dead
Police were appealing for witnesses last night as they investigated the killing of a blind imam inside a London mosque shortly after he had taken morning prayers.
Maimoun Zarzour, 39, an imam at Muslim Welfare House in Finsbury Park, north London, was found dead in his office at the mosque on Friday morning. Police said they did not believe that the killing was a hate crime.
Jeremy Corbyn, MP for Islington North, who holds regular surgeries at the Muslim Welfare House, said he knew the imam well. "He was a very good man," the MP said. "He was quite quiet, a good listener and good at supporting the community. He was exactly the kind of person Finsbury Park needs and I'm very sad he's gone."
A man was arrested on Friday in connection with the incident and is helping police with their inquiries.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
Deadly ice storm pushes up US east coast as temperatures drop to -29C
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- < Previous
- Next >