Murder probe launched after torso found on Portsmouth beach
A murder inquiry has been launched after the torso of a man was found wrapped in a black bin liner on a beach.
The body, without head, arms and legs, was found by a group of foreign students at Southsea, Portsmouth, at 5.30pm yesterday.
The area of the beach remains cordoned off while detectives examine the scene.
Detective Chief Inspector Dick Pearson, of Hampshire Police, said: "Our inquiries today are focusing on identifying the body, which we believe to be male, and how it came to be on the beach, including the possibility that it may have washed up with the tide.
"The torso was discovered by a group of foreign students between 5pm and 5.30pm who alerted some nearby workmen.
"Police were contacted shortly afterwards. As a result of earlier media appeals we have now identified some of the group of students who are currently speaking with officers.
"It may be that the torso wrapped in a black bin liner had been on the beach some hours before it was discovered.
"We are aware that the area was busy yesterday afternoon and evening, with a number of people on the promenade between South Parade Pier and the Blue Reef Aquarium watching the P&O ships and other local events.
"We would like to speak to these spectators if they have specific information which could be of interest to us."
A Home Office post-mortem examination is to be carried out later.
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- < Previous
- Next >