Over 2,000 hacking victims not alerted
James Cusick is political correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. As an experienced member of the lobby, he has previously worked at The Sunday Times and the BBC. His career as a journalist has been split between print and television, including senior positions as producer with Sir David Frost and at BBC Newsnight. He is also an award-winning golf and travel writer, working for over a decade as the UK contributing editor for one of the USA’s leading golf magazines. He broadcasts regularly for the BBC and CNN. He lives in London.
Wednesday 05 September 2012
More than 2,000 people whose mobile phones were probably hacked by the News of the World may never learn they were involved in the scandal, MPs were told yesterday.
Sue Akers, the Metropolitan Police's Deputy Assistant Commissioner who has led the force's phone-hacking and allied corruption investigations, told the Home Affairs Select Committee that of the 4,744 people who may have had their phone messages illegally intercepted, only 2,500 have so far been notified by Scotland Yard.
MPs on the committee, led by Keith Vaz, expressed surprise that so many had not been contacted. Mr Vaz asked Ms Akers if she was concerned that a police operation now expected to cost £40m – and which had so far resulted in just eight people being charged over phone hacking and six others on charges of perverting the course of justice – would leave so many potential victims unaware of what had happened to them.
But she insisted that the charges brought represented success, and hinted that the numbers charged would increase as the investigation into corruption, Operation Elveden, continued.
Explaining why so many potential victims had not been contacted, she said telephone numbers gathered in evidence were now more than six years old and many had since been abandoned or changed. The names linked to the old numbers were often too common to make contact a simple process, she added. "People move on, and we have to draw the line somewhere," she told MPs.
Ms Akers, who is to retire next month, said the reason her inquiry had been successful, in contrast to previous investigations, was because of the level of co-operation now offered by News International.
MPs were told that command of the three investigations – Weeting, Elveden and Tuleta, the computer-hacking inquiry – will shortly be transferred to Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stephen Kavanagh, who currently heads the Met's territorial division, responsible for policing London's streets. It is understood that Mr Kavanagh will combine the two roles.
Scotland Yard still has 185 officers working on the investigations. Ms Akers said that they would cost £9m this year, and had been budgeted to run for a further three years at a combined cost of £40m.
Perez Hilton apologises for publishing Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
Jennifer Lawrence 'nude photo hacker' claims there are hundreds more celebrity images to come
Victoria Justice on naked photo leak: 'Let me nip this in the bud right now – pun intended'
Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
Ariana Grande nude photos leak: Pictures are completely fake, say singer's representatives
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127