Pink Floyd guitarist's son charged over Cenotaph stunt

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The son of the Pink Floyd guitarist Dave Gilmour has been arrested over his involvement in the student protests in London last week.

Charlie Gilmour, who was photographed hanging from the Union flag displayed at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, was held by police yesterday on suspicion of violent disorder and attempted criminal damage. Mr Gilmour, a student at Cambridge University, later apologised for the "terrible insult" of grabbing the flag, and said he was "mortified by his moment of idiocy".

His is the highest profile of 35 arrests made after last Thursday's demonstrations. Scotland Yard released photos of 14 others they wish to question over the weekend.

Attention has also focused on the behaviour of Metropolitan Police officers. An official investigation is already taking place into an allegation that a student needed brain surgery after an officer struck him with a baton. The family of Alfie Meadows claim police tried to stop a hospital from treating the 20-year-old, because injured officers were being examined there.

His mother, Susan Matthews, said a paramedic had to intervene to ensure the Middlesex University undergraduate received immediate attention for the blow he suffered.

The Met is refusing to comment on the case while it is being examined by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). The commission is also supervising two other investigations relating to the actions of police officers during the protests.

One relates to a complaint from Tahmeena Bax, a third-year history student at Queen Mary University, who claims she was hit over the head with a truncheon during the demonstration on 30 November.

The other follows a complaint from the mother of a 15-year-old girl who suffered a broken foot during the protest on 24 November.

A fourth complaint could be on the way after a disabled student complained he was pulled from his wheelchair by police officers.

Jody McIntyre, 20, who has cerebral palsy, claims he was struck with batons and pulled across the ground during Thursday's protests. Scotland Yard refused to comment on the case.