Shot man dies after Croydon riot
Tuesday 09 August 2011
A young man shot in his car during last night's "unprecedented" rioting died today.
A murder hunt was launched as police announced that the 26-year-old victim had died after being admitted to hospital.
He was discovered in a car suffering from gunshot wounds at about 9.15pm as trouble flared in Croydon, south London, last night.
Scotland Yard described last night's violence as the worst it had seen "in current memory" for "unacceptable levels of widespread looting, fires and disorder".
Along with the 26-year-old who was fatally shot, a total of 44 officers were wounded in the capital and a man in his 60s suffered life-threatening head injuries.
Commander Simon Foy said the man was found inside the car last night and taken to a south London hospital, where he died this morning.
Two others in their late 20s have been arrested for handling stolen goods and taken to a south London police station, he added.
Officers from the force's Trident unit are investigating.
Costa Concordia: Shipment of Mob drugs was hidden aboard cruise liner when it hit rocks off Italian coast, investigators say
Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
- 1 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 4 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 5 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection