Student who mocked Fabrice Muamba on Twitter is jailed
From the blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
SPOILERS: Do not read this if you have not seen series 5, episode 11 of ‘Made in Chelsea’ It’s hard ...
One of the questions you get asked most as a chef is 'what would your last meal be?'
Quotation of the Day, from Deborah Mattinson, boss of Britain Thinks, about focus groups' views of t...
A 21-year old student who posted offensive Twitter comments
about Fabrice Muamba as the footballer lay collapsed on a pitch has been jailed
for 56 days for inciting racial hatred.
Liam Stacey, a Swansea University biology undergraduate, provoked disgust with tweets posted as the 23-year-old Bolton Wanders midfielder was fighting for his life following a heart attack during a FA Cup quarter final match against Tottenham. The game was broadcast live on television.
The first of Stacey's messages began "LOL. Fuck Muamba. He's dead!!!"
As fellow Twitter users took him to task for his views, Stacey responded with further offensive comments.
He was arrested after numerous Twitter users, including former England international Stan Collymore, reported the tweets to police. Stacey admitted inciting racial hatred during a brief appearance at Swansea Magistrates Court last week.
Today, District Judge John Charles told him: "In my view there is no alternative to an immediate prison sentence."
Charles said that when Muamba collapsed, "it was not the football world who was praying for him... everybody was praying for his life".
He added that abusive remarks made to Stacey "via a social networking site were instigated as a result of vile and abhorrent comments made as a result of a young man who was fighting for his life".
As he was led away in handcuffs to a holding cell beneath Swansea Magistrates' Court, Stacey broke down in tears. He was led past the public gallery where, shaking with emotion, he was briefly embraced by family and friends.
Fabrice Muamba’s recovery since his heart attack on March 17 has been described as “miraculous”. He remains in a serious but stable condition in intensive care, and is reported to be eating, sitting out of bed, watching television and speaking with friends in both English and French.
- 1 Alan Pardew's warning to Joe Kinnear: I am still the Newcastle manager
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
Russian President Vladimir Putin denies stealing £16,000 diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring
Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria