Thief electrocuted as he steals from substation
Sunday 13 November 2011
A man is in critical condition after being electrocuted as he tried to steal metal from an electricity substation.
The victim was admitted to Birmingham's City Hospital shortly after an explosion at a substation in nearby Oldbury, West Midlands, at 3.15am yesterday.
The blast, on the Granada Industrial Estate, disrupted local power supplies. It is thought to have happened after significant quantities of metal, including copper wiring, had been cut from the substation.
The injured man is thought to have been rushed to hospital in a private vehicle. Police have appealed to the driver and anyone with information to come forward.
Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
World news in pictures
X marks the spot: The find that could rewrite Australian history
At least 91 feared dead including 20 children as massive tornado rips through Oklahoma
- 1 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Top A&E doctors warn: 'We cannot guarantee safe care for patients anymore'
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Quality Inspector - West Midlands - 3 Mon...
£21000 - £36000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Looking...
£120 per day: Randstad Education Luton: KS1 Teacher required to cover PPA in a...
MPS + OLA: Randstad Education London: Randstad Education are working with a Cl...