Three boys guilty of homeless man's murder
Tuesday 26 February 2013
Three teenagers who beat a homeless man to death following a dare have been convicted of murder.
The boys who cannot be named because of their ages – two are 14 years old and one is 17 – had denied attacking Kevin Bennett, 53, right, as he slept rough outside a supermarket in Liverpool.
During their trial at Liverpool Crown Court, the jury was told the 17-year-old had goaded one of the 14-year-olds into carrying out the attack by saying: “I bet you haven’t got it in you to do him in.” The court heard that the younger boy later told his friend: “I started kicking him, I booted him and now he’s dead.” The second 14-year-old acted as a look-out.
Mr Bennett died in hospital six days after the beating in the early hours of 17 August last year. Linda Doran, 42, was convicted of perverting the course of justice by providing false alibis for two of the three boys.
All four were remanded in custody for sentencing in April.
Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
Mysterious 'X-Files' sounds heard miles above the Earth
University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian combined with near-naked ensemble
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil