Two bailed after Walsall double gun death


Click to follow
The Independent Online

Two people who were arrested after a man and a woman died of gunshot wounds have been released on police bail.

A 23-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman are being questioned by West Midlands Police after the pair were found at a house in Laneside Gardens in the Birchalls area of Walsall in the early hours with serious gunshot injuries.

Ambulance crews attended but the victims died at the scene.

West Midlands Police are treating the deaths as suspicious.

The house and cul-de-sac have been cordoned off and an investigation launched into the circumstances surrounding the deaths, a force spokesman said.

Two people arrested nearby have been taken to a police station for questioning, he added.

Detective Inspector Michaela Kerr, from the Criminal Investigation Department, said: "Both the man and woman sustained gunshot injuries and they received emergency treatment at the scene. However they could not be saved and died a short time later.

"We are treating their deaths as suspicious and two people were arrested nearby in connection with the incident."

Anyone with information is asked to contact West Midlands Police or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Police were at two properties on opposite terraces in Laneside Gardens this morning.

A forensic tent was erected in the front garden of one of the houses and officers could be seen inside the address and in the back garden.

Neighbours said a 38-year-old woman and her two young sons had been living at the rented end-terrace house for three years.

Local resident Carol Robinson said the woman's 69-year-old mother lived in the other property.

Mrs Robinson said the 38-year-old woman, a teaching assistant, had two young sons who attended primary school and an older son, thought to be around 24-years-old.

Neighbours named the 38-year-old woman who lived at the property as Clare Sly.

Mrs Robinson, 67, said: "She is gorgeous and a lovely mum. The two young boys are so well-behaved and polite. They are a lovely little family and quite quiet, they have never caused any trouble or anything.

"It was such a shock to us when we woke up this morning.

"I'm a light sleeper but I didn't hear a thing during the night. We found out when we saw the police and then we heard there were guns involved on the radio."

Speaking to reporters at the scene, Superintentent Keith Fraser said the two people arrested were related to the victims.

He would not go into detail about the precise nature of the relationship but said detectives were treating the shooting as an isolated incident.

He said: "I can confirm that the people arrested are connected to the victims, I can confirm that they are related."

Mr Fraser said the arrests were made "in the locality" and within an hour of emergency services arriving at the scene.

He added: "I don't underestimate the impact that this could have, and will have, on the local community."