Two charged over Fitzwilliam Museum art theft
Friday 04 May 2012
Two men have been charged over the theft of a hoard of Chinese art from a Cambridge museum.
The 18 jade items from the Ming and Qing dynasties were stolen in a raid on the Fitzwilliam Museum last month. Some estimates have placed their value at £18 million.
Cambridgeshire Police today said Patrick Kiely, 28, of Eleanor Street, east London, had been charged with theft and conspiracy to commit burglary.
A 15-year-old boy from London, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with the same offences.
Both will appear at Cambridge Magistrates Court today.
Detectives had originally said they were looking for at least four people in connection with the raid, which happened at about 7.30pm on April 13.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber pass £170,000 on eBay
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week