David Bowie named best-dressed Briton of all time by BBC History magazine
David Bowie beats a stylish shortlist that includes Beau Brummell and Elizabeth I to become the best-dressed Briton
The red-mulleted rocket man also pipped Pepys, whose courtly curls are almost as famous as his diaries, in which he documented the fashions of the time.
Famed beauty and socialite the Duchess of Devonshire came in third place, just before George Brummell, whose taste for the lux reportedly stretched to cleaning his shoes with champagne.
The year of 2013 boosted Bowie's career and he certainly is more 'current' than others shortlisted. The singer was subject of V&A's fastest-selling exhibition in history and has released a new album in over a decade, The Next Day, followed by a Mercury Award nomination.
The magazine's editor, Rob Attar, said: "Bowie had to overcome a king, two queens and a political heavyweight to triumph in our poll, and in doing so has struck a blow for 20th and 21st-century fashions."
Bowie was nominated by designer Wayne Hemingway and the British public casted their votes.
The full list is as follows:
1. David Bowie - 48.5 per cent
2. Elizabeth I - 13.6 per cent
3. Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire - 9.5 per cent
4. George 'Beau' Brummell - 8.4 per cent
5. Queen Alexandra - 7.1 per cent
6. Anne Messel - 5.3 per cent
7. Henry III - 2.5 per cent
8. Ellen Terry - 2.2 per cent
9. Charles James Fox - 1.6 per cent
10. Samuel Pepys - 1.3 per cent
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
John Barrowman praised for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony gay kiss
£600 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Conduct Risk Liaison Manager - Banking - London -...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: CITY - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION - GLOBAL...
£65000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: The client is a...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A well-established software house ba...