£3 billion Qatari Diar redevelopment of Chelsea Barracks put on hold as UK economy stalls
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Monday 28 January 2013
Prince Charles is unlikely to be best pleased. A £3 billion redevelopment in one of London’s swankiest postcodes which the heir to the throne lobbied ferociously to be built in his preferred architectural style has been placed on hold by its Qatari owners.
The Gulf state, whose subjects currently enjoy the world’s highest per capita income, has put the Chelsea Barracks project under review, citing “the prevailing economic environment” as a reason for re-considering when to press ahead with one of the capital’s more ill-starred building schemes.
It was reported tonight that Qatari Diar, the emirate’s sovereign wealth fund whose British assets range from Harrods and a chunk of the Olympic Village to an 80 per cent share of the Shard, may even consider selling the £1bn “super-prime” site that was once considered a jewel in the crown of its burgeoning property portfolio. The organisation had fought a long – and at times painfully public – battle to secure planning permission for the scheme of nearly 600 luxury pads and affordable homes, nicknamed the Gucci Ghetto, ever since it first disclosed plans for the 13-acre site by the architect Lord Rogers in 2009.
His glass and steel blueprint drew a dyspeptic response from Prince Charles, who wrote directly to the Qatari prime minister, Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al Thani, complaining about the “Brutalist” proposals which he said amounted to a “gigantic experiment with the very soul of this city”.
The letter, which was made public in subsequent unrelated legal proceedings, was followed by a decision by Qatari Diar to jettison Lord Rogers’ design and draw up a more traditional – or as the Prince put it, “timeless”– scheme which was eventually accepted by planners in late 2011.
But despite recent moves to refine the blueprints and prepare the dowdy former Ministry of Defence site to be re-born as a vision of sandstone mansions and parked Maseratis, the only sign of rapid growth at the barracks of late has been invasive shrubs breaking through the abandoned concrete.
A spokeswoman for Qatari Diar said: “The developer is currently refining its strategy for the development of this unique site to progress and realise its vision for this important part of London. It is taking advantage of the opportunity to review and respond to the context of the prevailing economic environment in preparing for the next stage of development.”
The fund declined to comment on claims that, as Britain teeters on the brink of a triple-dip recession, its ardour for putting its mark on an SW1 postcode had cooled to the extent that it might consider offers for the site.
The uber-wealthy hinterland of Chelsea has benefited from the same recession-busting demand from the international glitterati that has seen a 40 per cent rise in prices for homes costing £10m or more since 2009.
For the moment at least, Qatari Diar, which will not have greatly enjoyed finding itself on the wrong side of complaints from an alliance including the House of Windsor and Chelsea Pensioners, may be choosing to concentrate on other ongoing projects.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Argentina may change its capital city from Buenos Aires, says president
- 3 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 4 The 3D-printed key that can unlock anything
- 5 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
Keira Knightley topless: Conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
Sir Paul McCartney makes his stance on Scottish independence known
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Web Develop...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...