Bedford is the UK's 'most generous town', according to JustGiving
Residents donated over £1m to charitable causes via the fundraising website
Residents of Bedford are the most generous people in the UK when it comes to giving money to charitable causes, according to donations platform JustGiving.
The Bedfordshire town gave a total of £1,145,967 in the year to May 2014, with 41, 631 people digging deep into their pockets.
Cambridge came in second place, with £1,440,634 raised by 48,295 people, while Reading was third with £1,711,566 donated by 58,235 people.
The figures were calculated by working out the amount donated and the number of givers in relation to the overall population of the town, thereby explaining why some of the lower ranked towns gave larger amounts.
Richard Fuller, the MP for Bedford and Kempston, told the BBC he was “thrilled but not surprised” by the news.
“It's great to see that sense of personal responsibility to not just look after yourself but to look after others,” he told the broadcaster.
“What's distinctive about Bedford is that going back decades now it's been a very welcoming place for people with different backgrounds.”
JustGiving is the UK's biggest charity fundraising website. Among the fundraising pages hosted by the social platform is that of teenager Stephen Sutton, who died of cancer in May. The 19-year-old raised over £4 million for Teenage Cancer Trust.
Top 10 most generous towns
1. Bedford - £1,145,967 given by 41,631; population 79,150
2. Cambridge - £1,440,634 given by 48,295; population 126,480
3. Reading - £1,711,566 given by 58,235; population 159,247
4. Brentwood - £750,509 given by 21,672; population 74,460
5. Woking - £921,165 given by 27,646; population 99,567
6. Aberdeen - £1,872,610 given by 58,307; population 220,420
7. Cheltenham - £976,995 given by 33,381; population 115,900
8. High Wycombe - £1,004,113 given by 31,658; population 93,736
9. Watford - £737,375 given by 22,643; population 93,736
10. Bristol - £848,674 given by 28,553; population 121,723
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
£35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior QA Engineer (Agil...
£26000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Digital Marketing Executive (SEO, PP...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our retail client ...
£400 - £450 Per Annum possibly more for the right candidate: Clearwater People...