Bedford is the UK's 'most generous town', according to JustGiving
Residents donated over £1m to charitable causes via the fundraising website
Residents of Bedford are the most generous people in the UK when it comes to giving money to charitable causes, according to donations platform JustGiving.
The Bedfordshire town gave a total of £1,145,967 in the year to May 2014, with 41, 631 people digging deep into their pockets.
Cambridge came in second place, with £1,440,634 raised by 48,295 people, while Reading was third with £1,711,566 donated by 58,235 people.
The figures were calculated by working out the amount donated and the number of givers in relation to the overall population of the town, thereby explaining why some of the lower ranked towns gave larger amounts.
Richard Fuller, the MP for Bedford and Kempston, told the BBC he was “thrilled but not surprised” by the news.
“It's great to see that sense of personal responsibility to not just look after yourself but to look after others,” he told the broadcaster.
“What's distinctive about Bedford is that going back decades now it's been a very welcoming place for people with different backgrounds.”
JustGiving is the UK's biggest charity fundraising website. Among the fundraising pages hosted by the social platform is that of teenager Stephen Sutton, who died of cancer in May. The 19-year-old raised over £4 million for Teenage Cancer Trust.
Top 10 most generous towns
1. Bedford - £1,145,967 given by 41,631; population 79,150
2. Cambridge - £1,440,634 given by 48,295; population 126,480
3. Reading - £1,711,566 given by 58,235; population 159,247
4. Brentwood - £750,509 given by 21,672; population 74,460
5. Woking - £921,165 given by 27,646; population 99,567
6. Aberdeen - £1,872,610 given by 58,307; population 220,420
7. Cheltenham - £976,995 given by 33,381; population 115,900
8. High Wycombe - £1,004,113 given by 31,658; population 93,736
9. Watford - £737,375 given by 22,643; population 93,736
10. Bristol - £848,674 given by 28,553; population 121,723
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Sir David Attenborough interview: The one question about life that still baffles him
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...