Cap on migrant workers is ruled illegal
A cap on migrant workers imposed by the Home Secretary has been ruled illegal.
The High Court said Theresa May had unlawfully tried to "side-step parliamentary scrutiny" when she set the temporary limit of granting only 24,100 visas for non-EU workers. Lord Justice Sullivan said the changes were substantive and should have been laid before Parliament.
The Home Office said it was considering an appeal against the decision, which leaves a key plank of Government immigration policy in limbo. But it does not affect the permanent cap being introduced from April.
Within weeks of taking up her post, Mrs May announced that only 24,100 non-EU workers would be granted visas to Britain by April 2011.
But the High Court ruled that she had acted outside her powers and had not allowed her plans to be scrutinised properly by Parliament.
The cap has been denounced by the care industry, which has warned it is struggling as a result to fill staff vacancies in care homes.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela's death: South Africa and the world mourns loss of Nelson Mandela
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...