Cap on migrant workers is ruled illegal
A cap on migrant workers imposed by the Home Secretary has been ruled illegal.
The High Court said Theresa May had unlawfully tried to "side-step parliamentary scrutiny" when she set the temporary limit of granting only 24,100 visas for non-EU workers. Lord Justice Sullivan said the changes were substantive and should have been laid before Parliament.
The Home Office said it was considering an appeal against the decision, which leaves a key plank of Government immigration policy in limbo. But it does not affect the permanent cap being introduced from April.
Within weeks of taking up her post, Mrs May announced that only 24,100 non-EU workers would be granted visas to Britain by April 2011.
But the High Court ruled that she had acted outside her powers and had not allowed her plans to be scrutinised properly by Parliament.
The cap has been denounced by the care industry, which has warned it is struggling as a result to fill staff vacancies in care homes.
Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
Russian President Vladimir Putin denies stealing £16,000 diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring
Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
- 1 Alan Pardew's warning to Joe Kinnear: I am still the Newcastle manager
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
£32000 - £33000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
Excellent Salary Package: Austen Lloyd: We have an outstanding opportunity for...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Room Leader NVQ Level ...