A catering company boss prepared kebabs just feet away from a dead man lying on a sofa, it was revealed today.
Jaswinder Singh, 45, was cooking opposite the corpse at the Pappu Sweet Centre in Wolverhampton as it was discovered by police, city magistrates heard.
Officers were called to the food outlet on August 27 to investigate the sudden death of a worker.
At the court hearing yesterday, Singh, of Prosser Street, Park Village, Wolverhampton, was fined £3,846 including costs and banned from managing a food business.
The court was also told that a dead rat had been found under a cooking pot and rat droppings were discovered during a health inspection at the Cannock Road business.
Mouldy food and flies were found and employees were seen smoking and spitting on the floor within food areas.
Commenting on the case, Barry Findlay, Wolverhampton City Council cabinet member for the environment, said it was one of the worst breaches of the law environment officers had witnessed.
He said: "The city council will not tolerate premises who put the public at risk by preparing food in insanitary conditions.
"We are pleased that the council's actions have resulted in the courts banning this individual from ever running a food business again."
A West Midlands Police spokeswoman said: "We attended following reports of a sudden death.
"The death was not suspicious and the coroner was informed.
"Everything else was dealt with by environmental health."
The council's Food and Environment Safety Service began investigating the Pappu Sweet Centre in October 2007 following the sighting of a rat.Reuse content