Derelict homes offered for £1 in Stoke-on-Trent
Derelict homes are being offered for just £1 as part of a scheme to transform a rundown area of Stoke-on-Trent.
Aspiring homeowners can apply to buy one of 124 £1 homes in the Cobridge area and for a loan of up to £30,000 to refurbish the property. More than 600 people have already applied for one of 35 properties forming the first part of the project.
The catch, however, is that they must be prepared to live in the property for at least five years before they can rent it out or sell it on, and to have a joint income of £18,000 to £25,000-a-year, rising to £30,000 for those with children. They must also have lived in the city for the last three years and cannot already own a home. Most of the properties have two bedrooms but there are some three-beds and flats.
Stoke-on-Trent Council is anxious to turn the area into a thriving neighbourhood and to rebuild community spirit.
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: C#.Net Developer - C#, ASP.Net, HTML...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...