Driver dies in Beachy Head plunge
A driver has died after the car he was in plunged 400ft from Beachy Head.
The man, whose name has not been revealed, was thrown clear of the vehicle and airlifted to hospital by coastguard helicopter last night after lifeboat crews braved challenging conditions to try to save him.
The vehicle plunged off the notorious East Sussex suicide spot to the east of the lighthouse at around 6.23pm.
Police and the coroner are investigating how and why the vehicle went off the cliffs.
Both Eastbourne lifeboats battled the dark and a heavy surf to get to the scene and were surprised to find the driver alive on the beach.
The lifeboat doctor was transferred ashore to administer first aid and to stabilise his condition.
He was transferred with the lifeboat doctor to a coastguard helicopter and taken directly to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.
But a Sussex Police spokesman confirmed that the man died in hospital later.
Eastbourne RNLI spokesman Bob Jeffery said: "The man was thrown from the vehicle and when we got there we were expecting the worst but we found he was alive and luckily we had the doctor onboard.
"It was dreadful conditions in the dark and with a heavy surf and one crewman had to swim ashore as we could not get the inshore lifeboat in.
"The operation took around three-and-a-half hours as the coastguard helicopter had to come back to pick up the crew who went ashore."
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...