E.coli probe fish bar had 'poor hygiene' report

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A chip shop at the centre of a suspected E.coli outbreak was criticised for poor hygiene after a council inspection 12 months ago, it was revealed today.



A woman and a three-year-old girl remain seriously ill in hospital after eating a meal from the Llay Fish Bar in Llay, Wrexham, North Wales.

Wrexham Council published the finding of a hygiene inspection at the take away in August last year which rated it "zero stars" out of a maximum five.



The report said: "Poor Hygiene conditions found.

"Some major non-compliance with food legislation."

A follow-up inspection was due to take place later this month but last Thursday the premises were closed after four people fell ill.

New mother Karen Morrisroe-Clutton and the unnamed three-year-old girl have both suffered renal failure.

The child remains at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool where her condition is described as serious.

Mrs Morrisroe-Clutton, 32, who gave birth to her son Oliver 11 weeks ago, is being treated in Wrexham Maelor Hospital where she remains in a medically induced coma.

Her mother, Rosemary Morrisroe, said today: "She is very vulnerable right now but we know the doctors are pulling out all the stops for her."

Mrs Morrisroe-Clutton, who works at Wrexham Library running an advisory service for small businesses, was taken ill early last week after eating from the Llay Fish Bar on Monday.

She was taken to hospital a few days later and was fit enough to telephone her mother, who is caring for Oliver.

Mrs Morrisroe said: "We were told she would need a few weeks of dialysis but after that it would be okay.

"She rang me on the Thursday morning and she seemed to be in good spirits.

"A few hours later she suffered seizures and she has been in a coma ever since."

Comments