Ex-train driver elected as Aslef leader
Wednesday 12 October 2011
A former train driver was today elected leader of a railway workers' union after winning a ballot by just over 200 votes.
Mick Whelan, 50, regional organiser for Aslef, mainly covering the Midlands, received 3,683 votes, with the union's national organiser Simon Weller getting 3,458.
Mr Whelan, who joined the railway in his 20s after quitting his first job as a bank clerk, will succeed Keith Norman, who is retiring.
He said: "It is a privilege and an honour to become the leader of this proud union. I would like to record my thanks to all those members who voted for me and to the other candidates who acted throughout with dignity and decorum."
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
Jennifer Lawrence face palms Emma Watson at Christian Dior show in Paris
Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
Pamplona Running of the Bulls 2014: Briton critically injured in San Fermin festival
Elephant 'cries' while being rescued after 50 years of abuse in India
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
£25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Exciting sports company with a strong bra...
£33000 - £40000 per annum + bonus + benefits: Ashdown Group: Executive Assista...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Social Media Director (Gl...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Advisor - 6 Months Fix...