Fire rages at Britain's largest cemetery
Britain's largest cemetery is on fire today as the "tinder box dry conditions" sparked wildfires.
The blaze is raging over 17 acres of the 500-acre Brookwood Cemetery near Woking in Surrey.
Around 40 firefighters and six fire engines plus other units are currently battling the fire which started just after 2pm today.
The cause is not yet known.
Fire service Area Manager Alan Clark said: "The lack of rain and tinder box dry conditions provide the perfect recipe for wildfires.
"Once they start they can spread quickly, making wildfires notoriously difficult to control. These fires cause devastation to the countryside, wildlife and property. They pose a risk to life, both to the public and the firefighters tackling these blazes."
The cemetery is so large it has its own station. It was laid out in 1854 as the London Necropolis and is still in use.
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...